Luxury Made Affordable...
Best Rates Guaranteed.
The Maldives
The Maldives


Maldives is a garland of emerald islands scattered across the Indian Ocean. The lagoons and reefs encircling them make beautiful circular, oblong, and crescent shapes. This is the dream holiday destination for millions all over the world. The Republic of Maldives is an archipelago of approximately 1190 coral islands located south-west of the Indian sub-continent. The country consists of a double line of twenty-six natural atolls, 130 kilometres at their widest point, stretching for 823 kilometres. The total population of the country is approximately 350,000, which is dispersed among 200 inhabited islands, with 90% of them having a population of less than 1000. The country's land area accounts to only 1% and the rest 99% is covered with sea.

Quick Fact of Maldives

Across equator in the Indian Ocean 740 km from Sri Lanka

Geography: 1190 total number of islands
26 natural atolls
200 inhabited islands
Climate: Warm and humid,
Daily temperature is between 25.00 to 30.00 degrees
Population: 350 000 (approximately)
Language: Dhivehi & English
Religion: 100% Islam
Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa (1$= 15.42MRF)
Visa:Up to 30 days free Tourist visa on arrival


The early Maldives history is unknown. However, archaeologists indicated that the islands of Maldives were inhabited around 1500 BC. There is no data about the origin of human settlement in Maldives though it is believed that around 500 BC Aryan immigrants from Indian subcontinent made permanent settlements in the Maldives.
The Maldives is a fully independent nation from July 26, 1965 and a Republic from November 11, 1968. The islands of Maldives were under Muslim control from 12th century.


There are two monsoon seasons in Maldives. The northeast monsoon, called "iruvai", brings very little shower and wind from November to April while the southwest monsoon called "hulhangu", brings heavy rain and gales from June to August. The annual average daily temperature is between 25 - 30 degrees Celsius.


According to the historical sources, early Maldivians practiced Buddhism. During the 12th Century, the people of Maldives converted to Islam. Since then Maldives has remained as a 100% Muslim country, following the Sunni sect. Islam is truly the focus of the Maldivian life in every respect. Prayers are conducted five times a day in all mosques on every inhabited island.


The language of the Maldivians is Dhivehi. This is an Indo-Aryan language and is closely related to Sinhala. Many languages have influenced the development of Dhivehi through the ages, most importantly Arabic and Urdu. Others include Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, French, Persian, Portuguese, and English. The written script is called 'Thaana' which is written from right to left.